Thursday, July 9, 2009

Late Readers

I have had the opportunity to read a few of Raymond and Dorothy Moore's books, but by far the one that has had the most impact on me is Better Late Than Early. I first read this book a couple years ago before starting schooling on a regular basis with my children. I have heard that boys can be a little slower with reading in the beginning, and I feel I have prepared myself for this...then pressures begin to build.
My now 7 yo, Trapper, is displaying all the traditional signs of a later-to-learn reader. He knows the "rules" and is even able to read when he wants to, but getting him to read a cereal box is a challenge. Whenever I begin questioning myself on this subject I begin looking for those whom have walked this path ahead of me. God is gracious indeed!
Just minutes ago I came across this article by Annette MacKay. In the article she shares her own sons journey through a slow start in reading. While this is an older reference the material is still true today, and I look forward to taking it "slow & gentle".

No comments:

Post a Comment