Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thirsty Thursday - White Board Schedule

It may seem crazy that something as simple as a white board has brought such joy to my school days, but I finally feel I really look forward to each day of school now. Let me share a bit of our story.

Last year we were in the midst of a basement remodel and finished it up just about the time we started our schoolyear. I was so excited organizing my materials on the new book shelves and felt like I had my schoolroom set. The year started off well enough, but I was often feeling like I didn"t have anywhere to organize our daily routine.

I tried notecards, schedules, and various assundry papers, but I often felt that I was putting more into it than any of us were benefitting from. So,...fast forward a year. Our newly remodeled basement had water damage and needed more work. Back to square one on the classroom, and this time it was pushing the beginning of the schoolyear. We did get it all put back together but in a slightly different arrangment and with added wall space. Finally I was able to hang our stashed whiteboard in a useable location and WOW! what a difference it has made.

With 4 young children, and only two of them doing any independent schoolwork, the white board has made school so much more organized for all of us. I am able to write our schedule out the night before with simple details my older boys can read. Throughout the next day of school, the kids look forward to erasing the board and seeing the subjects completed. At the end of the day the board is wiped clean and ready for the next day's events to be posted.

It keeps us all going and ready for school.
Read more educating encouragements at Five J's.

3 comments:

  1. We use a white board too, but unfortunately, have nowhere to hang it. We do school in our kitchen and all of the space is currently being used. I end up propping it on a chair, but I really want to find an easel to place it on. The search continues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE our homemade whiteboards, although we don't use them for our schedules. We have several lap-sized whiteboards (made from a large sheet of Home Depot melamine) that we use for grammar, math, spelling, history, science, you name it! We use whiteboards for just about everything we do. Homeschooling just wouldn't be the same without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea. This is practical especially if your schedule changes alot. I think I might try this idea. Thanks : )

    ReplyDelete